Replace El's Kitchen: International Comfort Food: Sweet Coconut Sticky Rice

Monday, August 24, 2015

Sweet Coconut Sticky Rice

My family might be done with me. We are in the heat of the summer and I continue to turn the oven on. I understand. It makes the house hot but I really like cookies and cupcakes. So I asked myself, what sweet treat would really hit the spot but doesn't require me to turn the oven on?

Then I remembered, the stove top dessert that would satiate my sweet tooth...Sweet Sticky Rice. There's a wonderful Thai restaurant where we used to live and it made an awesome coconut sweet sticky rice. The restaurant made it with Thai Sweet Rice but I'm going to use what I have in my kitchen.

It's a great dessert and it's not too sweet. It's served plain in the restaurant  but I'm going to add fruit or maybe raspberry gelato once it's finished. I'm excited. I've made everyone happy and I still get something sweet. Whoopee!

Sweet Coconut Sticky Rice
Makes 6 servings

Ingredients

1 cup of short grain white rice
1 cup of water
2 cups of Thai coconut milk/ 2 cans (not Lite milk)
1 cup of sugar
1 tablespoon of coconut flour (you can use cornstarch or tapioca flour)
1 cup of shredded coconut
¼ tsp of salt
fruit ( mango or strawberries)

Garnish: Mint

Directions

In a saucepan combine water, 1 cup of coconut milk and rice. Bring mix to a boil.
Reduce heat to medium low and cook for 15 to 20 minutes.

While rice cooks, heat 1 cup of coconut milk in a heavy pot on medium heat. Bring milk to a low boil.

Once boiling, add 1 cup of sugar and ¼ teaspoon of salt and stir. The heat will help the sugar and salt dissolve quicker.

To the above mixture whisk in flour (this will help it thicken). This step can be omitted if you are using sticky rice.

Once rice is soft but firm pour the coconut, sugar, flour mixture over it.

Add ½ a cup of coconut flakes to sweet rice mixture. Make sure mixture is thoroughly combined.

Refrigerate mixture for ½ an hour to 1 hour.

While rice is cooling, cut fruit and toast coconut flakes.

Place remaining ½ cup of coconut flakes in a non-stick pan on the stove at medium heat and toast until lightly browned.

When you're ready to serve, scoop about ½ a cup of rice into a single serving dish, sprinkle with toasted coconut and place fruit on top.


There you have it. A sweet treat without the heat.





No comments:

Post a Comment