Replace El's Kitchen: International Comfort Food: Baba Ghanoush

Thursday, August 27, 2015

Baba Ghanoush

Must be in the mood for Middle Eastern food this week. We've made all types of dishes this week and I'm kind of in the mood to just snack. Luckily, I can turn to the garden for a little healthy snack. I've been waiting for my eggplant to get a little bigger and considering my current taste buds I know exactly what I should do with it. It's baba ganoush time.


I used to eat this like a meal. One of my favorite restaurants makes a whole baba ghanoush platter with salad, pitas and lots of accouterments. Yum baba ganoush with all the fixin's. Ah good times.

Baba Ghanoush

Ingredients

3 white eggplants
3 cloves of garlic
¼ cup tahini
1-2 tbsp olive oil
¼ tsp salt
¼ tsp cumin
¼ cup lemon (2 lemons)
parsley


Directions:

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Place eggplant and garlic on baking sheet. Poke the eggplant with a fork, drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with kosher salt. Roast eggplant and garlic for 30 mins or until eggplant is soft.

Let the eggplant cool.


Meanwhile chop parsley and juice lemons.

Combine lemon juice, cumin, salt and tahini.

Scoop out the flesh of the roasted eggplant and place it into a food processor with the garlic and the tahini mixture.

Pulse into a coarse mixture; then begin to add the olive oil. The mixture should begin to become smooth. Continue to pulse and add olive oil until desired smoothness.

Sprinkle parsley on top.

Traditionally this would be served with pita bread but for my gluten free friends it's also great with cucumbers and tomatoes.

Enjoy!






No comments:

Post a Comment