Replace El's Kitchen: International Comfort Food: Spiced Cake Pops

Thursday, August 20, 2015

Spiced Cake Pops

Every wonder what to do with leftover cake crumbs? After I made the Apple Pie Cupcakes I had cake crumbs from the centers I removed. I know at times, it seems as though I'm joking when I talk about recycling bacon grease and being environmentally friendly but I'm actually really serious. These are not jokes. If we can reuse it or recycle it we do.


So I had to find something to do with the crumbs. Hello spiced cake pops. Cake pops are great because it allows me to use any left over cake and icing I might have and it's bite sized.

Spiced Cake Pops

Makes 8 cake pops

Ingredients

1/2 cup cake crumbs
1 tablespoon of cinnamon frosting
1 cup of white morsels or 4oz of candy melts
splash of heavy cream

8 Lollipop Sticks

Optional: Sanding sugar, sparkle gel or sprinkles for decoration.

*Note: I'm using white morsels because I have it in the house. White chocolate melts or white bakers chocolate is much easier to work with and dries quicker. You also won't need to use as much of it.

Click for the Spice Cake Recipe and Cinnamon Frosting recipe.


Directions:
Crumble spice cake in a bowl. Add about a tablespoon of frosting. Mix thoroughly using your hands or a fork.
You don't need a lot of frosting. Just enough to hold the cake together.

Using a round tablespoon, scoop the cake & frosting mixture into balls.

Once you have your cake balls. It's time to melt to chocolate. 
Melt the chocolate in the microwave for 30 seconds, until smooth. 

If you are using morsels after the first 30 seconds stir and microwave for another 30 seconds. It should take you no longer than 2 minutes to get a smooth consistency.


Dip the tip of the lollipop stick into the melted chocolate, then into the cake ball.

Place the cake pops on parchment paper and let them set in the freezer for at least 30 minutes.

Remove the cake pops from the freezer and remelt your chocolate. Dip the cake into the melted chocolate and turn to coat evenly. Twirl the cake pop gently until the chocolate begins to set.

*Note: I coated the pops twice. The second time using chocolate with a splash of heavy cream in a double boiler (glass bowl over a pot of water). It created a smoother coating for my cake pops. That option resulted in a much longer time twirling the coating onto the cake pop waiting for it to dry.

Place the coated cake pops on parchment paper or stick the lollipop ends in a piece of styrofoam and place it into the refrigerator.



Before I was finished some cake pops were confiscated... so it must be good.


No comments:

Post a Comment