Replace El's Kitchen: International Comfort Food: Shakshuka - One- Pot Spicy Tomato and Eggs

Tuesday, November 22, 2016

Shakshuka - One- Pot Spicy Tomato and Eggs

Sometimes I don't get to have breakfast until the early afternoon. Of course, the issue with that is then I can't decided whether I want breakfast or lunch. Does that ever happen to you?  You just can't choose. Well, shakshuka solves all of these problems. The eggs give you that breakfast feel, but the spicy tomato sauce has that late night comfort feel to it.


I've had it in my mind to make shakshuka for a while now. Then after a night out in the city at Barber, this quaint little Moroccan restaurant, I knew I had to make it. I've only had this dish a couple of times. And funny enough, at different restaurants (one Moroccan & one Israeli). I was interested in this dish particularly because it reminded me of a dish I love, huevos rancheros. Come to find out you can find this dish (or a version of this dish) across the Mediterranean to the Middle East. From Morocco to Israel this dish is a star. Though I believe it's eaten at dinner time in Morocco and for breakfast in Israel.

Either way this is an extremely satisfying dish. You can amp up the spice by adding cayenne or hot sauce. I left the eggs pretty soft because I love the additional flavor and texture that a runny egg adds to the dish. There are so many ways to enjoy this dish. Dive in and add a little spice to your eggs.


Shakshuka - One Pot Spicy Tomato and Eggs



Makes 4 to 6 servings

Ingredients

4 to 6 large eggs
3 tablespoons of olive oil
1 yellow onion chopped
1 red bell pepper chopped
1 jalapeño seeded and chopped
4 cloves of garlic chopped/sliced
28 ounces of crushed tomatoes
1 tablespoon cumin
1/2 tablespoon turmeric
1 tablespoon paprika
1 tablespoon salt
1 teaspoon of pepper
garnish - chopped cilantro

Directions:

Heat oil in a large skillet (cast iron pan) over medium high heat.

Add the onions and sauté over medium heat until translucent about 6 to 8 minutes

Add bell peppers and jalapeño and cook until soft, about 3 to 5 minutes

Stir in garlic, salt, paprika, cumin and pepper.

Slowly add crushed tomatoes and stir until thoroughly combined.


Allow the mixture to simmer on medium heat for 15 to 20 minutes.

Crack eggs and place in a heat safe bowl or ramekin.


Use a spoon to make a well in the tomato mixture for each egg.

Gently slide each egg yolk and white into a well.

Add a pinch of salt and pepper to each egg.



Cover and simmer for about 10 minutes or until the eggs are not longer translucent.

Additional salt and pepper to taste.

Garnish with cilantro.



No comments:

Post a Comment