Replace El's Kitchen: International Comfort Food: Bourbon Pecan Pie

Tuesday, November 15, 2016

Bourbon Pecan Pie

It's that time of year when people begin asking "what are you making for Thanksgiving?" "What type of pie are you having?" Pumpkin? Sweet potato? Well my friend threw out pecan pie. Huh. Well, that's a new one for me. I've always stayed away from pecan pie because it's always been too sweet for me. Of course, when we takes trips to the southern United States it doesn't keep me from ordering it jus to see how it tastes.






I know many people consider this a Thanksgiving staple but it's never been that in our house. Which of course, brings us back to the holiday question... What pie is on your table? This Thanksgiving it will be pecan pie. I've struggled with this recipe. First, making sure it wasn't too sweet. Then making sure there was enough mixture to fill but not overflow a deep pie crust.

Funny enough it's kind of like a custard but because it's milk eggs and sugar mixed with pecans. Hmm, now I'm thinking maybe this dish isn't American at all. People don't say as American as Pecan Pie. Even though I could see people saying as southern as pecan pie.

 Anyway, I'm excited to share this recipe with you because I think for a dessert that is typically extremely sweet, this pie is perfectly balanced. Make the pie and have a slice. Or two or three. I know I did.

Bourbon Pecan Pie
Makes 6 -8 servings

Ingredients

1 deep pie crust
1 1/2 cups of brown sugar
4 1/2 tablespoons of melted butter
3/4 cup of corn syrup
1/2 teaspoon of salt
3 tablespoons of bourbon
1 1/2 teaspoons of vanilla
5 eggs (lightly beaten)
2 cups of pecans

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.

Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat.

Add brown sugar and whisk (whisk, whisk, whisk do not stop) until smooth
Remove sugar mixture from heat and slowly whisk in bourbon (let the liquor cook off) corn syrup, vanilla and salt.

Lightly beat eggs in a medium bowl.

Slowly whisk in corn syrup mixture.

Place pecans in pie shell (I made two layers one of crushed pecans then a top of whole pecans).

Gently pour syrup mixture over pecans

Bake for  50 minutes to an hour.

Now that I've figured out how to get just the right balance, I'm definitely going to make this again. Hey, there's something to that what's on your table for the holidays. It got me to try something new. I hope this blog does the same for you.

Happy Holidays.




No comments:

Post a Comment