Replace El's Kitchen: International Comfort Food: Quiche Lorraine w/ Spinach

Monday, May 16, 2016

Quiche Lorraine w/ Spinach


I'm always interested in dishes that are believed to be one thing but really are another. Many times I like to find out where dishes come from so imagine my amazement when  when I read that this dish actually originates in Germany. Of course, it's now a classic French dish that you can find in any French Cafe. It's named after a region in northeastern France. Yes, that area Germany and France fought over for years. Of course, France is not where I had my first Quiche Lorraine. My first experience was in a little cafe on 1st street in New York. I was actually introduced to many new foods there. In hindsight, I wonder if its owner was well traveled. Because that is where I sampled so many dishes from around the world. Now I try to do the same for my family.


But I digress. This dish in particular is savory and buttery and in that aspect very French and easy to love. I kept the classic bacon, heavy cream, eggs and added spinach and cheese. It's always important to have your veggies. Might as well add veggies since this dish is nothing but butter and bacon. I needed to make this quickly so I used a pre-made pie crust but you could use the simple pie crust recipe I used to make apple pie. Either way it's going to be delicious.

Quiche Lorraine with Spinach

Makes 4 to 6 servings

Ingredients:

pie dough recipe/prepared frozen pie crust
6 to 8 pieces of bacon
4 beaten eggs
1/2  cup of milk
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1/4 teaspoon of pepper
4 ounces of swiss/gruyere cheese
1/2 cup of spinach
pinch of nutmeg
2 tablespoons of diced butter on top

Tools: Tart Pan/ pie pan & whisk

*Note: If purchasing a frozen pie crush you may need to bake your pie crust before adding the bacon and egg mixture.


Directions:

Fry or bake bacon.

If frying:
In a frying pan lay strips of bacon, then turn pan to low medium heat. Cook until each side of bacon becomes brown and crispy.

If baking:

On a baking sheet place foil and 6 to 8 slices of bacon.

Place bacon in oven then set oven temperature to 400 degrees.

After 12 minutes the bacon should be  crispy. Pat bacon with a towel to remove oil.

Chop bacon into strips and sprinkle half of bacon into the bottom of the pie crust.


If you baked your bacon turn oven heat down to to 375 degrees.

Beat eggs, cream and seasonings in a bowl until well mixed.

Fold in spinach and 2 ounces of cheese.

Pour egg mixture into pie crust. Sprinkle remaining bacon and cheese on top.


Bake for 30 to 45 minutes or until the edges are firm but the center is still a bit jiggly.

Allow quiche to cool for 20 minutes.


Later this week it's national Quiche Lorraine day so let them eat Quiche!!

No comments:

Post a Comment