Replace El's Kitchen: International Comfort Food: Simple Apple Pie

Monday, November 30, 2015

Simple Apple Pie

I love to bake. But one thing I don't typically make is pie. I'm not exactly sure why but I don't but I don't. A couple of weeks ago I saw Martha Bakes and decided I was going to make a pie. Of course, weeks passed and the pie was never made. In general, I would rather make cheesecake or cookies or cupcakes or anything other than pie. Not exactly sure what my aversion is to making pie. It's probably just because I do not do it often. I do have a tendency to stick with what I do best. Though, I definitely love eating pie I just couldn't seem to bring myself to to make one. Until... my mom asked me for apple pie for Thanksgiving.


Now what was I to do? Did I want to make pie... no. But that was the only thing  mom asked me to do so I had to suck it up. And guess what? It wasn't as hard as I thought it would be (thank goodness for our food processor) and I think I might like it. I can see a pie being made again. Sooner rather than later. Guess I should thank Martha for the pie crust recipe. It's extremely flaky and I really liked that. Notice there's no sugar in the recipe so if you like your pie crust sweet you should add a teaspoon of sugar to this recipe.

This recipe is extremely simple since it was my first time making apple pie and it was for my momma  I didn't want to make it too complicated. Though some recipes call for ginger and other types of spices, I kept this close to what I know. Cinnamon and apples. Also, mom is a big fan of fresh and simple. So there's not a lot of sugar in this recipe. Also, the apples are still a little crisp once the pie is done. This pie is straight apple baby and it's beautiful.

Apple Pie

Makes 8 servings

Crust Ingredients
2 cups of flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon sugar
1 1/2 sticks of unsalted butter (cubed & cold)
3 tablespoons of vegetable shortening
1/4 cup of ice water


Pie Filling Ingredients
6 granny smith apples (cored & sliced)
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 cup of flour
3/4 cup brown sugar
2 teaspoons lemon

EggWash - 1 egg mixed with water


Tools Needed:
food processor, 9 inch pie plate and rolling pin

Directions:
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.

Place flour, sugar and salt in food processor. 

Add cubed butter and shortening to the processor.

Pulse/process for 5 to 10 seconds until mixture resembles a course meal.

Add the ice water a little bit at a time making sure not to let the ice cubes fall in.

The water will help the dough come together.

My dough came together in about 20 - 25 seconds.

Place dough in plastic wrap using plastic to shape dough into a flat disk.

Place dough in the fridge for at least an hour.

After an hour cut the dough in half. One half will be used for the bottom of your pie crust the other for the top.

Lightly flour your counter top and your rolling pin.

Roll dough away from you remembering to turn the dough.

Turn and lightly flour your dough continuously so it does not stick.

Use your pie plate to measure how large you should roll the dough.

Your circle should be slightly larger than your pie plate.

*Note: Folding your rolled dough over the rolling pin will make it easier to move it into the pie plate.

For the filling, toss your apples in lemon juice.

Combine cinnamon, sugar and flour.

Toss and coat apples with sugar mixture.

Fill pie crust with apple mixture.


Roll out remaining dough to fit pie or cut into strips.

If creating a lattice, cut at least 10 strips. 

Place 5 strips horizontal and 5 vertical. 


Gently pull back each strip of dough weaving the strip over and under.

Trim the edge of the pastry allowing a little bit of an overhang.

Beat egg and water (egg wash) and brush over the pastry.

Place foil around the edge of the pie so the crust will not burn. 

Bake for 20 minutes. Then remove the foil.

Bake pie for another 20 to 25 minutes until the crust begins to turn brown and the filling begins to bubble.

Allow pie to cool on  a wire rack.

See that wasn't so bad was it?? Told you.




updated July 11, 2016


No comments:

Post a Comment