Replace El's Kitchen: International Comfort Food: Spicy Chicken Sandwich

Monday, February 1, 2016

Spicy Chicken Sandwich

Like most people, I love fast food but the price of fast food these days just doesn't fit my budget. Luckily, a couple of years ago I came across a recipe for one of my favorite spicy chicken sandwiches. Of course, over the years I've come across many recipes and have weaved what I like from each into my own.


What makes this dish even better is that it serves 8 to 10 people. Not sure what type of birdzilla they sell at our supermarket, but one boneless chicken cutlet is a whopping 14 ounces. I had to cut that baby in thirds to get about three 4-1/2 oz. patties. I actually only used 4 chicken breasts to make these sandwiches. I got a whole lot of bird and bang for my buck.

Spicy Chicken Sandwich

Makes 8 to 10 Sandwiches

Ingredients
4 boneless chicken breasts
5 tablespoons of hot pepper sauce
1/4 teaspoon of salt
2 teaspoons of oregano
2 large eggs beaten
1/4 cup of water

Coating
Tortilla chips
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1 tsp onion powder
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
4 teaspoons of cayenne

8 to 10 Sandwich rolls

Vegetable Oil - if frying

Directions
Depending on the size of your chicken you may want to cut it in half to make 6 oz patties.

Once you have 4 to 6 oz patties use a mallet or a rolling pin to flatten the chicken breast.

Gently season chicken with salt.

In a bowl combine hot pepper sauce, oregano, egg and water.

Combine chicken and hot pepper mixture in a bowl or bag.

Allow chicken to  marinate in the refrigerator for at least an hour.

After an hour or so remove chicken from refrigerator and preheat oven to 350 degrees if baking.

Season ground tortilla chips with paprika, onion powder, garlic powder and cayenne pepper.
(I removed the cayenne pepper because I didn't want it to be too spicy for my mini me.)


Taking one piece at a time, dredge chicken in tortilla mix. Shake of the excess coating.

If frying, pour oil into a large frying pan/skillet. Fry chicken until it is golden brown about 3 to 5 minutes per side.

Note* Grease should be approximately 1/2" deep and 350 degrees.

If baking set a rack on top of a baking sheet. Then place chicken on the rack and bake for 25 to 35 minutes.

For the last 8 to 10 minutes turn oven temperature up to 375 degreed to get an additional brown on the chicken.

Serve on bun with lettuce, tomato & mayo. Maybe jazz it up and serve it with coleslaw.

I actually feel like I've out done myself here because it's actually a bit healthier than the Wendy's version also. Especially, if you bake it. All the glory but not as much of the fat. Woo hoo!!



No comments:

Post a Comment