Replace El's Kitchen: International Comfort Food: Picadillo

Monday, February 22, 2016

Picadillo

I've been dying to make this dish for some time. I'm not sure why it has taken so long. It feels like it's been over a month since I asked my colleague to help me translate some traditional Cuban recipes. Growing up on the Lower East Side of Manhattan, I was always lucky enough to have access to great Puerto Rican and Cuban food. I've always been able to go to a friend's house or find a restaurant that made what I like just right. But now that we are in the suburbs, it's just not the same.


Years ago, I would buy the seasoning mix or the pre-made yellow rice, but within the last couple of years it's really been my mission to cut out a lot of the pre-made artificial stuff and really figure out how to make the dishes I love. I've been lucky enough to have friends and family that are more than willing to help me refine the flavors of my favorites dishes. I left out raisins which are traditional in both the Cuban and Puerto Rican versions of this dish.


Initially, I was going to try to make this in the slow cooker but my friends convinced me to make it stove top. It makes sense especially since most of the ingredients need to be started stove top. So here's the dish I've been waiting for. Thank goodness it came out the way I wanted or I don't know what I would have done.

Picadillo
Makes 6 servings

Ingredients:
1 1/2 pounds of ground beef
2 tablespoons of olive oil
1 large onion diced
6 cloves of garlic minced
1 red pepper diced
4 small potatoes diced
2 tablespoons of cumin
1 sazon packet
3/4 cup of alcaparrado (olive & caper mixture)
16 ounces of crushed tomatoes
3/4 cup of dry white wine
1 ounce of cilantro (or culantro)
1/4 teaspoon of pepper
1/2 teaspoon of salt
2 teaspoons of oregano
1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder
1/4 cup of alcaparrado juice

*Note: If you get the olives stuffed with pimentos you don't have to worry about pits.


Directions:
In a casserole pot/dutch oven heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil and diced onion over medium heat.

Once the onion is translucent approximately 3 to 5 minutes, add red peppers then garlic.

Remove vegetables from heat.

Take half of the cooked vegetables and cilantro and place in a food processor. Blend for 30 seconds. If you do not have a food processor, mince well.

Season ground beef with 1 tablespoon of cumin, salt, pepper, oregano, garlic powder and mixture from food processor. Combine all ingredients well.

Add ground beef to pot and cook 8 to 10 minutes.

Remove beef from heat and drain excess oil.

Add olive oil to pot then add diced potatoes.

Cook potatoes for 5 to 10 minutes until tender. (You should easily be able to stick a fork through the potato)

 Add cooked vegetables, ground beef and white wine. Stir gently.

 Cook for 5 more minutes then add alcaparrado.


Continue cooking over medium heat and stir occasionally.

Add crushed tomatoes, alcaparrado juice, cumin and sazon.

Allow mixture to simmer for 10 to 15 minutes. Add any additional salt, pepper, cumin and/or alcaparrado.

Allow meat to simmer for an additional 15 to 20  minutes. This will allow the sauce to thicken.


Serve with rice and an avocado salad.






1 comment:

  1. Mmm! Love picadillo! I have never made a version with crushed tomato...trying this soon!

    ReplyDelete