Replace El's Kitchen: International Comfort Food: Potato Latkas

Monday, November 9, 2015

Potato Latkas

I love remaking leftovers. This dish in particular reminds me of mornings when I lived in New York City. I was privileged enough to live right next to a wonderful sidewalk cafe on the lower east side. This of course was before sidewalk cafes were a dime a dozen. The owner was a older Jewish man that introduced me to my love of Jewish cuisine. From bagels with lox to baklava it was like he had the best food I couldn't get anywhere else.


Though he would never make this dish from leftover mashed potatoes, a girl's got to do what a girl's got to do. It's a great addition to breakfast and could even be eaten as a snack. So here we go.

Potato Latkas
Makes 12

Ingredients
2 cups of mashed potatoes
1 tablespoons of flour
1 tablespoon parsley
1/4 teaspoon of garlic
1/4 of red pepper
1 egg
salt & pepper to taste


Directions:

Combine potatoes, egg, parsley, red pepper and garlic in a mixing bowl.

Add flour. Mix well.

Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat.

Measure potato mixture using a 1/4 measuring cup.

Fry potatoes for approximately 4 to 5 minutes on each side using a spatula to press mixture flat.

That's it. You can serve it with sour cream or chives. Of course, you know I serve it with bacon.



No comments:

Post a Comment