Replace El's Kitchen: International Comfort Food: Spicy Shrimp and Cheesy Grits

Thursday, August 13, 2015

Spicy Shrimp and Cheesy Grits

Needed a little reminder of my vacation with the ladies this week. A couple of months ago the girls and I headed down to New Orleans for some good food and music. And that was just what New Orleans delivered. I couldn't have asked for better food or a better time. It was just what I needed. No matter where we were, whether in a restaurant or a friend's home, everything was delicious. So with the hectic weeks we've had and no sign of a break in sight, I'm missing New Orleans. Just a little.


So you know what I decided to do? I set out to create a little New Orleans comfort. I needed something quick and easy. The last couple of days have been a whirlwind and I just did't have time for anything too involved. What cooks up quick? Shrimp. Shrimp and grits it is. A spicy shrimp and grits would do just fine. I couldn't spice the shrimp too much (mini me wouldn't be able to eat it) so I left a lot of the heat off initially and added it to my plate later.

Spicy Shrimp and Cheesy Grits

Ingredients

Spicy Shrimp
1 pound of shrimp (peeled & deveined shrimp)
4 slices of bacon
1/2 tsp of garlic powder
1/2 tsp of salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp cumin
pinch of red pepper flakes
green onions for garnish

Cheesy Grits
1 cup of quick grits
4 cups of water
2 tbsp of butter
1/2 tsp kosher salt
4 oz of extra sharp Vermont white cheddar cheese
4 oz of sharp cheddar cheese


Directions

Over medium heat bring 4 cups of water and salt to a boil.

Once boiling stir in the grits. After about 10 minutes you will notice the grits thicken.

Add butter to the grits and stir. Turn the heat to low and stir every 4 to 5 minutes.

While the grits are cooking shred the cheese and fry the bacon on medium low heat until crispy.

Yes, I'm cooking bacon on the stove. But only so I can sauté the shrimp in bacon grease. It's good to reuse... it's environmentally friendly! And delicious!

After 20 minutes add shredded cheddar cheese to the grits a handful at a time. Stir, stir, stir.


I know the package stated these were quick grits but we're cooking it for at least 30 minutes.


Mix the garlic, salt, pepper, cayenne and cumin in a bowl or a plastic bag. Add shrimp and coat with the mixture.

Using the pan with the bacon grease, sauté the shrimp over medium heat. Sauté for 2 minutes on each side or until shrimp are pink. Depending on the size of your shrimp it may only take 3 minutes for the shrimp to cook.

Now for the pièce de résistance ... you get it... it's French... New Orleans... ha, ha, ha.
Make your plate. Cheesy grits on the bottom, then shrimp, crumble the bacon on top, sprinkle whatever else you want on top. More cheese...yes please. Green onions. I'll take those too.

*NOTE: More red pepper flakes, jalapeño peppers and/or cayenne pepper can be added to the shrimp once you've removed the shrimp for those with a less tolerable palate. In the end, I added more red pepper and pepper jack cheese to my grits. Yum!!

No comments:

Post a Comment