Replace El's Kitchen: International Comfort Food: Rum Cupcakes for Dad

Monday, August 3, 2015

Rum Cupcakes for Dad

Some friends have asked for this recipe so though it's not Fathers Day I decided to share it. My husband and my Dad are truly great men, so for Father's Day I thought it would be wonderful to treat them to something sweet. Following in my father's footsteps, I chose to make rum infused cupcakes (Dad typically brings rum cake to parties - yum) but I wanted to make them over the top. Earlier in the month I came across a recipe in Elinor Klivans cookbook CUPCAKES.

Her recipe was filled with  pecans, dates, apricots and other wonderful dried fruits. The part most reminiscent of my dad's cake .....rum. Her cupcakes were perfect for a fall day, but it's summer so I tweaked the recipe a lil bit.

Cupcake Recipe

2 2/3 cups of unbleached flour
1 tsp of baking powder
1/2 tsp of salt
1 cup of butter
1 1/3 cup of light brown sugar
2/3 cup of granulated sugar
4 eggs
1/8 cup of dark rum
2tsp of vanilla extract
1 cup of walnuts
1 cup of almonds
1 cup of pineapple
1 cup of cranberries
1 cup of carrots

I know carrots...but sometimes I can't help myself

Frosting Recipe

12 ounces cream cheese
3 cups of powdered sugar
2 tablespoons of rum
1 tsp of vanilla extract

Topping

Fresh Pineapple
Dried Cranberries
Almonds

1 comment: