Replace El's Kitchen: International Comfort Food: Skillet Cheddar Jalapeño Cornbread

Tuesday, November 1, 2016

Skillet Cheddar Jalapeño Cornbread

My friend likes to have parties. For me, a party always bears the question, what do I bring? So, what do you bring you ask? I usually bring dessert. What's wonderful about these get togethers, is that usually everyone contributes something. In turn, there's always a dish or two that becomes the topic of conversation. At one of the parties, I was introduced to homemade cornbread.






I had no idea what happened but everyone seemed to get excited when T showed up with the tins of cornbread.  It was crazy, it was like moths to a flame. You started to see people gather in the corner of the room were the tins were placed. Then someone came up to me and asked if I had gotten a piece.  I said no. They suggested I get a move on before it was gone. Once I bit in I understood what all the hype was about. It's perfect.

Now I know you're thinking... dang you are an adult and you've never had cornbread? But this cornbread was unlike any other I've had. It was buttery and delicious. Sweet and savory. Everything you could ever want in comfort food.  Now I know other people have asked for the recipe so I didn't dare. But I set out to figure it what made it so different. What I realized was that there's definitely a difference in the taste between boxed cornbread and cornbread made with fresh corn meal and flour. So that was where I started.

In the end, I like this cornbread as a "go to" dish. Something that's this simple and easy to make will be a staple. So bye bye boxed cornbread. I'm never going back. That's right! I am in love. And who would have thought all this was made possible by a friends party? Now I know I can't make it like T (especially since I don't have her recipe) but I figured out a combo I like and it's quickly becoming a family favorite. It's perfect because it has a little kick from some jalapeño and a little more from some habanero cheddar cheese. Wooooo!! Can you tell I like spicy?

When we are looking for a real southern comfort food, there's nothing better than cornbread, paired with fried chicken and collard greens. That type of combination absolutely hits the spot.


Skillet Cheddar Jalapeño Cornbread
Makes 8 to 10 servings

Ingredients

3/4 cup of flour
1 1/4 cups of corn meal
1/4 cup of granulated sugar
1 teaspoon of salt
2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup of milk
2 eggs (lightly beaten)
2 jalapeño peppers (diced)
8 tablespoons of butter (melted)
1 tablespoon of butter (room temperature)
8 ounces of cheddar cheese (shredded)
4 slices of crumbled bacon (optional)

Directions:

Preheat oven to 425 degrees (F)

In a bowl combine flour, corn meal, baking powder, baking soda, sugar and salt.


In a separate bowl combine milk, eggs and butter.

Add milk mixture to dry mixture and mix gently with a spatula (do not over mix).

Stir in 6 ounces of cheese and diced jalapeños into the batter.


Use 1 tablespoon of butter and rub skillet until completed coated.

Transfer batter to pan and smooth top.

Add crumbled bacon (if using). Then top with remaining cheese.

Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.

Let cornbread cool. Then serve with your favorite main course.


No comments:

Post a Comment