Replace El's Kitchen: International Comfort Food: Cold Sesame Noodles

Tuesday, October 4, 2016

Cold Sesame Noodles

I love noodles!! It's a carb thing. I remember my first time having cold sesame noodles, I was taken aback. There was a large group of us and one of my friends was familiar with the restaurant so she ordered for all of us. I had no idea the dish ordered would be cold. Once I got over the shock, I realized I was in love. Not only is this dish tasty, it works particularly well when you need a quick meal (like a school lunch). The noodles only take 5 minutes to cook and it does not need to be re-heated. I actually always have a bag of flat buckwheat noodles laying around. It's perfect for that morning you decided to ignore the alarm and time got away from you.


But back to the noodles. I remember reading an article in the New York Eater about these noodles originating almost 40 years ago in New York at a restaurant called Hwa Yuan. The article stated that it was the favorite dish of all the stars. Well, we are all stars today. Hooray!!

Note: Adapted from the recipe in the New York Times. The recipe below suggests chinese sesame paste but I use tahini paste because that's what I have on hand in my house.

Cold Sesame Noodles
Makes 6 Servings

Ingredients:
1 pound Chinese buckwheat noodles (spaghetti noodles)
2  1/2 tablespoons sesame oil
3 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons Chinese rice vinegar
2 tablespoons Chinese sesame paste (or tahini paste)
1 tablespoon smooth peanut butter
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon grated ginger
2 teaspoons minced garlic
2 teaspoons chili -garlic paste - optional

Garnish: Carrots, cucumbers or radishes cut into match sticks
sesame seeds
finely chopped green onion

Note: 2 packets of soy sauce equals a little more than 1 tablespoon. Yeah, I've done it. So what.

Directions: 

Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add noodles and allow noodles to cook about 5 minutes or until tender.

Drain pot and rinse noodles with cold water.


Sprinkle noodles with 1/2 tablespoon of sesame oil. Place noodles in the fridge.

In a bowl whisk together sesame oil, soy sauce, rice vinegar, sesame paste, sugar, ginger, garlic and chili -garlic paste (if using)

Pour sauce over noodles and toss.

Add garnishes.

This is really a versatile dish that can become a full meal if you add a protein like tofu or chicken.


So, how will you eat your sesame noodles?




No comments:

Post a Comment