Replace El's Kitchen: International Comfort Food: Corn and Poblano Empanada

Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Corn and Poblano Empanada

September 15 is the beginning of Hispanic Heritage month. In celebration of hispanic heritage month I wanted to share some of my favorite dishes. The first is a corn and poblano pepper empanada. Typically I eat empandas filled with meat but while prepping for a dinner with some of my friends I realized I needed something without meat. Little did I know I, this carnivore would fall in love with a vegetarian empanada. The mixture of cream cheese, peppers, corn and potatoes creates the perfect gooey bite with a bite of crunch. It's extremely easy to make and requires very little cooking (especially if you use a frozen bag of corn). It's actually the prefect dish if you are in a rush  but want something filling and flavorful.


So congrats to those Latin American nations that gained independence throughout the month of September. It literally changed the course of the Americas. Of course, since I teach history, I think it's important to honor the contributions of all Americans. Of course, because of my upbringing I have an affinity for mi gente from this region. It's in their kitchens that I learned how to cook hispanic food from as young as 6 years old. My friends and their families welcomed me into their homes and their lives. Making a place for me in the kitchen and at the table allowing me to experience and enjoy hispanic food and culture years before I ever traveled anywhere. It is those bonds an ties that ignited my love of hispanic culture and cuisine. And to them I must say, thank you.

Corn & Poblano Empanada
Makes 12 Empanadas

Ingredients
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
2 poblano peppers (roasted and diced)
1 1/2 cups of corn
1/2 pound of petite potatoes (3) (diced)
1 green onion chopped
1/2 cup cilantro chopped
2 cloves garlic minced
2 ounces Mexican queso/Monterey jack cheese (shredded)
4 ounces cream cheese
1/4 teaspoon cumin
1/4 teaspoon salt
12 large empanada wrappers
1 egg, slightly beaten

Tools: baking sheet, spatula, parchment paper


Directions:

Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.

Roast poblano pepper over an open flame until slightly blistered. Once cooled dice.


Boil potatoes with sea salt over medium high heat for 20 minutes. Potatoes should be firm. Once cooled, dice.

Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add diced garlic and stir until soft.

Add corn to garlic along with salt and cumin. Cook for 5 to 8 minutes. Corn should turn slightly brown. Remove corn and garlic from heat.

In a bowl, add cream cheese, monterey jack cheese, potatoes, poblano pepper, corn with garlic, green onion and cilantro. Season with salt and pepper.


Scoop two (2) spoonfuls of corn mixture into wrapper (use the back of the spoon to push mixture to the center.


Gently fold wrapper over lining the edges. Once edges a lined up gently press dough together with a fork.

Place parchment paper on baking sheet and spray with non-stick spray.

Gently brush empanadas with beaten egg.

Place baking sheet on the top shelf of the oven and bake until golden brown (about 20 minutes).


Note: This dish is great with some spice. When I'm not concerned with making it too spicy for my mini me I add some jalapeƱo peppers to the mix. I typically make a little spicy dipping sauce with garlic, hot peppers, onion and lime juice. Don't forget the salt and pepper.

How do you like your empanada? Mild or Spicy?







No comments:

Post a Comment