Replace El's Kitchen: International Comfort Food: Strawberry Lassi

Monday, July 25, 2016

Strawberry Lassi

During the hot summer months, it is sometimes hard to cool down. The recent heat wave has had me scrambling for ways to escape the heat. Then it clicked, I should make a lassi. My mother and I have spent many summer days indulging in lassis to beat the heat. The heat outside and of the delicious dishes we would order from our favorite Indian restaurant. Though the idea of milk and yogurt may seem like a bad combination in the heat, it's actually quite refreshing. The drink lassi comes from Northern Indian where the temperature can reach up to 123 degrees fahrenheit. If anyone knows how to cool down, it would be them. Traditionally, many Indian restaurants in America serve plain lassi or a mango lassi. Since I'm on a strawberry kick, I decided to make a strawberry lassi. Fruit is also a great way to avoid dehydrate in the summer. But that's not why I do it. I do it for the taste of it.


It's funny, a few years ago whenever I wanted a lassi, I would drive to my favorite Indian restaurant. Then about two years ago I got up the courage to ask the chef how the drink was made. And what do you know, he told me. When I realized it was so simple I kicked myself for not asking earlier. Though this is not exactly like a traditional lassi because it is not made with curd it's still pretty good. Now I get to share my good fortune with you. Hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

Strawberry Lassi
Makes 4 servings

Ingredients
9 ounces of yogurt
1/2 cup of milk
1 pound of strawberries
1 tablespoon of honey or 1/2 teaspoon of sugar
sprinkle of cardamon (optional)

Tools: Blender

Directions:

Rinse, hull and chop strawberries


Blend strawberries, honey, yogurt and milk for approximately 2 minutes

Pour into glass


Sprinkle cardamon on top if you choose

Such a refreshing way to beat the heat. What fruit would you use?

No comments:

Post a Comment