Replace El's Kitchen: International Comfort Food: Lemon Palmiers

Monday, June 20, 2016

Lemon Palmiers

It's sumer and I've had my eye on a delicious pastry, a palmier. It's a French pastry that can be adopted to be either sweet or savory. It's not the typical sweet comfort I look for, but in the summer you don't always want something super sweet. It was probably best since I decided to make them with my little and he really doesn't need anything sweet ever (energy for days).


One of the best parts of making this dessert (besides eating it) is making it with someone. For this one, everyone was in the kitchen which made it hectic but lots of fun. Of course, that's what summer is like in my house. Lots of fun and silliness.  Giggles and snorts always bring a smile to my face. I guess the nickname of "French  Hearts" is also very fitting.

This dish is made super easy by using pre-made puff pastry. I also decided to breakout the ninja to create some lemon zest from the peel. When zesting, remember you only want the yellow part of the lemon. It's fine if you don't have a zester. You can use a peeler, grater or pairing knife to take the skin off.

Ingredients:

Puff Pastry
1 teaspoon lemon zest
1 teaspoon lemon juice
4 tablespoons sugar


Directions:

Preheat oven 375 degrees

Mix zest, lemon juice and 2 table spoons of sugar together.

Sprinkle a flat surface with 1 tablespoon of sugar.

Place defrosted puff pastry on a flat surface.

Roll pastry into a square on top of sugar.

Brush/ Sprinkle zest and sugar mixture on to puff pastry dough.

Gently roll the sides of the square pastry dough toward the middle.


Try to make sure the sides meet exactly in the middle.

Slice about 1/2 inch thick and place cut side up on the baking sheet (parchment paper).

Sprinkle with remain gin sugar.

Bake for 6 minutes. Palmiers should be caramelized and lightly browned. Turn and bake for another 5 to 6 minutes.

Transfer to a baking rack to cool.



Hope you have fun making this with your friends and family. I know I can't wait to make a raspberry version of this sweet treat.

No comments:

Post a Comment