Replace El's Kitchen: International Comfort Food: Seared Cod with Miso Ginger Vegetables

Monday, April 4, 2016

Seared Cod with Miso Ginger Vegetables

Don't you hate when you order something and it tastes nothing like what you expected? Unfortunately, I had that experience the other day. I love a good asian inspired dish. I understand that some restaurants alter dishes to make them palatable to the masses but that's no reason to cheat the people out of taste. The other day I was looking for a seafood soup. But what I got was over cooked shrimp and tasteless broth. It's moments like this that encourage me to make my own.


Now the only reason I even attempt most Asian dishes is because my friends have given me the confidence to do so. In college, I wasn't always able to go home. One summer I spent in Maine and despite what people may think about Maine it was one of the best cultural experiences I've had. Maine has become a haven for refugees. I worked with other students from Cambodia and Vietnam. I  appreciate them taking me to their homes where their families embraced me and feed me. We cooked together and spent a lot of time together... eating. So there's a part of me that would love to hold on to that time in my life. I was surrounded by great food and great people and we were really making a difference in people's lives. And having fun doing it. I miss those times.

Though I wanted soup, we just had chicken soup, so I know I had to make something different but I was still reeling from not really getting those flavors I wanted. Of course, I couldn't go to... because mini me had to eat it too. It's dishes like this that allows my mini to get used to foods that are different flavors a textures. It's one of the reasons our little will eat almost anything.

Pan Seared Cod with Miso Ginger Vegetables

Makes 6 serving

Ingredients

1 pound of cod

white pepper

salt

powdered ginger

2 teaspoon miso

1 teaspoon soy sauce

1tablespoon fresh ginger

1 tablespoon of orange juice

1/2 pound of asian vegetables

2 teaspoons sesame oil

1/4 cup of vegetable (fish) broth

1/8 cup of water

olive oil/ canola oil

Tools Needed: Stainless steal pan or cast iron pan and wok/ large sauté pan

Directions:

Pat cod dry with a paper towel.

Gently season with powdered ginger, garlic, onion salt and pepper.

Allow fish the marinate in this dry rub for at least 30 minutes.

In a wok or large sauté pan begin to sauté vegetable in sesame oil over medium heat.

Allow vegetables to cook for 4 minutes.

While vegetables are cooking, place broth miso paste, soy sauce and orange juice to a bowl and mix well.


Gently pour mixture over vegetables and stir (The mixture will start to thicken. Scrape any bits off the bottom of the pan).

Add water as necessary to decrease saltiness and thin the miso mixture.

Add olive oil to a stainless steal pan over medium high heat.

Add cod to pan and cook for 4 to 5 minutes on each side.


You can serve this dish with rice or if you would like soup just add vegetable or fish stock and a bit more soy sauce and fish sauce.




So....how will you enjoy this dish?

No comments:

Post a Comment