Replace El's Kitchen: International Comfort Food: Jamaican Curry Chicken

Monday, April 25, 2016

Jamaican Curry Chicken

There are certain people in your life that seem to make everything all better. For me, my Caribbean friends were the ones that made me forget all my woes. By the end of the night you would be lost in the conversation and past the minutia of the day. Though we don't hang the way we used to, in the summer we have several very large cookouts and try to hang until the dusk of the sun disappears. Though with children that's not always possible, there's a familiarity that comes with spending time together no matter how long we've been apart.


 I look forward to these cookouts and eating several Caribbean dishes. Sometimes I tried to make these dishes for the cookouts to see if my friends will like it. Sometimes I rocked it. Other times its fallen flat (very flat). I was so enthralled or lucky enough to have a friend bring me her favorite Jamaican curry powder. A good curry powder really makes this dish. In turn, I use it sparingly.

Best part of this recipe is that it's simple. A one pot wonder you can walk away from since these days there isn't as much time to stand over a stove. Of course, with a dish like this it's best to allow it time to simmer. If you are looking for a little heat, you can add a scotch bonnet or red pepper flakes. Since I have a mini me that isn't into a lot of spice, I'm not adding any heat to the larger dish. I'll add some red pepper flakes to my plate once it's finished.

Jamaican Curry Chicken

Makes 6 servings

Ingredients

2 1/2 pounds of chicken (I used leg quarters and cut it into 3 pieces)
1/2  tablespoon of olive oil
1/2 teaspoon of salt
4 tablespoons of Jamaican Curry Powder
1 medium onion sliced
4 small red potatoes (cut into quarters)
1 cup of chicken broth (or water)
2 carrots sliced
spring of thyme
Scotch Bonnet *optional
1 can of coconut milk *optional
salt and pepper to taste

Tools: large stock pot

Directions:

Clean chicken in a bowl of water mixed with vinegar. Remove any feathers that might be left behind (you can also burn the feathers off).

In a storage/freezer place chicken, salt and 1 tablespoon of curry. Use bag to help coat chicken until covered by seasoning. Allow chicken to marinate for 2 to 4 hours or overnight.


Heat olive oil in a stock pot/dutch oven over medium high heat and add 2 tablespoons of curry powder. Heat until curry powder changes to a dark golden brown (1 to 2 minutes).

Add chicken to the oil, curry mixture placing it chicken skin side down. Reduce heat to medium and allow chicken to cook for 8 to 10 minutes.

Add sliced onion, carrots, thyme, potatoes, curry powder and chicken broth (also add scotch bonnet if you choose). Stir all ingredients together, then cover pot and allow to cook over medium low heat for  approximately 2 hours.


Hint: If you prefer your curry thicker, remove chicken and allow your curry to reduce. If it's still not think enough, remove some curry and place in a separate small bowl with cornstarch. Whisk cornstarch and curry together. Slowly pour curry/ cornstarch mixture back into larger part and whisk.


Hope you make this dish for friends and family and spend all night talking and laughing.



I typically serve my curry over white rice or with rice and peas. Enjoy.






No comments:

Post a Comment