Replace El's Kitchen: International Comfort Food: Slow-Cooker Corned Beef and Cabbage

Monday, March 14, 2016

Slow-Cooker Corned Beef and Cabbage

I'm not sure exactly when I decided I really liked this dish. Though this is not a dish of my childhood it's one that over the years I've grown more and more found of. Though living in New York provided the opportunity to eat lots of different foods, I don't remember eating dishes like corned beef or shepherd's pie. Those were definitely dishes I was introduced to in Jersey. Of course, as an adult I've never met a holiday I wouldn't cook a dish for. So for St. Patrick's Day it's Corned Beef, Cabbage and Potatoes.


What I do know is that I started making it "right" just a couple of years ago. Now when I say right I don't mean the way it's traditionally done, I mean the way the majority of my friends and family like it. Knowing I made this dish and that I absolutely love food, my colleague was wonderful enough to share a little tip she learned from her mother... beer. I was floored. I had never thought of putting beer in with my corned beef. I remember hubby putting beer in our chili one time and I was not happy.


Of course, she's a food lover like me and you know you can never go wrong with a recipe from mom, so I had to try it. Now I never make corned beef with out making sure there's a bottle set aside to add to the pot. It's a truly comforting meal and a one pot wonder which makes it even better. I make my corned beef in the slow cooker. I actually have been dying for St. Patrick's Day so I could make corned beef in my brand new slow cooker.


Corned Beef and Cabbage
Makes 6 servings

Ingredients

3 pounds of corned beef
4 red potatoes
2 large carrots
1 head of cabbage
1 bottle/can of beer
1/2 cup of water
1/4 teaspoon of salt

Tools Needed: Slow Cooker


Cut potatoes into quarters and slice carrots.

Cut cabbage into strips and place to the side.

Put corned beef into slow cooker and place the carrot and potatoes on the side of the corned beef.

Sprinkle the spice packet on top of the beef potatoes and carrots.

Pour beer over the ingredients, then pour the 1/2 cup of water over everything.



Lastly, place cabbage on top of the corned beef, potatoes and carrots and sprinkle with salt.

Cook, covered for 4 to 5 hours on high (or 7 to 8 hours on low).


Simple, easy and tasty .... what more could you ask for. What dish do you make for St. Patrick's Day?


No comments:

Post a Comment