Replace El's Kitchen: International Comfort Food: Crêpes w/ Nutella Cannoli Filling

Monday, February 29, 2016

Crêpes w/ Nutella Cannoli Filling

We recently got a crêpe place in the mall. I've loved crêpes ever since college. Of course, I was excited but it soon wore off. One long weekend the International Club planned a trip up to Quebec and I think I had a crêpe at every place that would sell it to me. I've eaten more crepes in Quebec in three days than I have in the United States over the course of a few decades.


There's just something about that sweet, buttery combination that makes me reminisce about good times and the love I have for Quebec. My little one also likes crepes. While I can't wait to take him to Quebec so he can have that experience for himself, I will be his official crêpier.

I first decided I was going to make this recipe when I saw Chef Anne Burrell make them on the show The Kitchen. It looked so easy I wasn't sure why I haven't been making them at home. Then I remembered the last time I tried. It turned out a hot mess, but I was much more confident this time around. So confident I decided to create my own special filling.

Cannoli filling is something else I've been meaning to make. Our friends brought a cannoli dip to the house once and I've been in love ever since. Actually many of our friends were in love that day especially since you can't get it everywhere. I made this filling with cream cheese and Mascarpone not ricotta because that's what we had in our house. Hey, a girls gotta do what a girls gotta do. I hope you like it.

Crêpes with Nutella Cannoli Filling
Makes 18 crêpes

Crêpe Ingredients

1 cup of flour
pinch of salt
2 eggs
1/2 cup of club soda
1/2 cup  of milk
3 tablespoons of butter
Additional butter for cooking crêpes

Nutella & "Cannoli Filling"
8 ounces of mascarpone
4 ounces of cream cheese
1 to 1 1/2 cup of powered sugar
1 cup of chocolate chips.
1/2 teaspoon of vanilla

Tools: mixing bowl, ladle, cast iron pan, whisk & hand mixer

Filling Directions
Place mascarpone and cream cheese in a bowl. Use an electric mixer to beat items together until combined.

Add 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla

Add powdered sugar 1/2 a cup at a time using electric mixer to blend ingredients together.


Lastly, fold chocolate chips in with a spatula.

Crêpe Directions
Place flour and salt in a mixing bowl.

Make a well in the center of the bowl.

Place eggs, milk, club soda and butter in the well in the center.

Whisk all ingredients together until combined.

If mixture seems thick (more like pancake batter than cake batter) whisk in a little more milk.

Allow the mixture to set for 30 minutes.

Place cast iron pan on medium heat.

Melt a small amount of butter in the pan (I actually just take a stick of butter and gently glide it over the bottom of the pan making sure all parts of the pan a coated).

Fill a ladle with crêpe mixture, and starting from the center pour the mixture in the center of the pan.

Gently tip the pan from side to side to roll the crêpe mixture around the pan.


When the edges of the crêpe begin to pull away and the bottom starts to brown (1 1/2   to 2 minutes) it's time to flip the crêpe.

Cook on the other side for an additional minute.

Place crêpe on a plate and make the next.

Separate crêpes with parchment paper. You can also keep them warm by heating the oven to 200 degrees and placing the plate of crêpes in the oven covered by a damp towel.

The best part of this whole process is eating it. Take a small spoonful of Nutella and spread across the crêpe. Then take a tablespoon of the cannoli filling and spread it across.


You can fill this crêpe with flambéed bananas or chocolate. You might even want to put a scope of ice cream on top. The world is your with this one.




No comments:

Post a Comment