Replace El's Kitchen: International Comfort Food: Beef with Mixed Vegetables

Monday, January 11, 2016

Beef with Mixed Vegetables

Over the last year or so I've developed a love/hate relationship with what was my favorite Chinese food restaurant. I liked that it was in my neighborhood and that they knew exactly what I wanted even when I didn't.


I don't know if you can tell but I can be pretty particular about my food. Lately, something's been different. The food, it's just not how I remember it. I know I'm talking about a restaurant like it's my boyfriend but like a boyfriend sometimes food is exactly what you need. Then it lets you down, and you're not sure what to do after that.

And I know everyone has an off day so I've tried to go back at different times of the day on different days, trying to get that old something back. It didn't work. So, I had to take matters into my own hands. This dish is great because it takes 30 to 45 minutes (depending on how long you let the beef marinate) to make and you can put all the beef or vegetables you want in it.

Beef with Mixed Vegetables
Makes 4 servings

Ingredients
1 pound of boneless flank steak (you can use round or cubed)
1 tablespoons of cornstarch
1 teaspoon of garlic powder
1 teaspoon of ginger
1/8 teaspoon of salt
1 tablespoon of vegetable oil
1 tablespoons of sesame oil
1/3 cup of soy sauce
2 tablespoons of sugar
1 small onion cut into strips
1 tablespoon dry sherry
1/2 cup of water/beef stock
1/2 cup of broccoli
1/2 cup of snow peas
1/2 cup of carrots
1/4 cup of water chestnuts

Tools: Wok or large skillet

Directions:

Marinade:
Combine 2 tablespoons of cornstarch, 1 tablespoon of dry sherry, 1/2 a tablespoon of soy, 1 tablespoon of sesame oil, 1/8 teaspoon of ginger, 1/8 teaspoon of salt and 1/8 a teaspoon  of garlic powder. Combine ingredients until smooth.

Pat beef dry then slice.

Add sliced beef to the above mixture and coat completely.


Allow it to marinate for at least 15 minutes (30 minutes is better if you have the time).

Add 1/2 tablespoon of sesame oil to wok or skillet over medium heat.

Add your stir fry vegetables and cook for 4 to 5 minutes.

Remove vegetables from wok.

Add vegetable oil and beef to wok.

Stir fry beef for 5 to 6 minutes then remove from heat.

Combine all left over ingredients (soy sauce, brown sugar, ginger, corn starch, water/chicken stock, and ginger) into a bowl and mix until smooth.


Return beef and vegetables to wok and add the above mixture.

Cook for an additional 2 to 5 minutes mixing thoroughly.


This quick stir fry was a pleaser in our house. I served it over white rice.
Feel free to switch out the vegetables for whatever you like. As you can see, I went a bit veggie heavy.






No comments:

Post a Comment