Replace El's Kitchen: International Comfort Food: Spinach Salad for Brunch

Monday, November 16, 2015

Spinach Salad for Brunch

So this weekend was super busy. So busy I did not have time to plan dishes specifically for the blog. Much of my focus was on trying to figure out an AIP Paleo dish to bring to my friend's house for brunch. I always try to adhere to my friends dietary restrictions. It's so important to make everyone feel included. But there was a hiccup. I found a recipe for a wannabe banana crepe filled with strawberries and coconut. I knew it would be a hit. But I didn't have ripe enough bananas so I had to figure something else out. Then it came to me...salad. It's versatile enough that I could figure out how to get everyone's favorite brunch foods into this one dish.


As we were sitting down to brunch with my girlfriend and her family I realized my friends think I create lavish and indulgent dishes all the time. She told me they thought breakfast on the weekend was like brunch at the Waldorf (I'm exaggerating a bit but you get it). So I was happy that she was thoroughly impressed with the salad I brought. Don't get me wrong... I know there is a bit of an expectation when I show up. I did it to myself. But in the end, I would absolutely hate to disappoint my friends.

 But it was wonderful to know that my friends love me so much they are even happy when I bring a salad. Who knew?

This salad is wonderful because you can make it whatever way you would like. Have it with spinach, bacon, apples and walnuts. OR with eggs and avocado. In the end, everyone was happy and that's what matters.

Spinach  Salad
 Makes 6 servings

Ingredients
6 oz bag of spinach
6 slices of bacon
6 boiled eggs
4 oz of grape tomatoes
1/4 cup of walnuts
2 green apples
1 peeled orange (seeds removed)
1 hass avocado
Creamy balsamic dressing

Directions:
Place 6 slices of bacon on a baking sheet.

Set oven to 425 degrees and bake bacon for 17 minutes.

Place 6 eggs in a pot of water and allow to boil for 12 minutes.

While bacon and eggs are cooking, chop walnuts. Then dice avocado and apples.

Once bacon is cooked place on and paper towel and dab with another paper towel to remove grease.

Chop bacon.

Allow eggs to cool (rise with cool water) then begin to remove eggs.

Once shells are removed slice the eggs in half.

In a salad bowl, place spinach and bacon and toss gently with a little balsamic dressing.


This is a great brunch salad and everyone gets to make it the way they like it. The children had a sweet version with fruit and the adults had a savory version with avocado and tomatoes. I squeezed a bit of juice from the orange on the kids salad. Yum...

No comments:

Post a Comment