Replace El's Kitchen: International Comfort Food: Fourth Filled Trifle

Saturday, July 4, 2015

Fourth Filled Trifle


Part of what I love about the summer is the opportunity to spend time with family and friends. This  4th of July weekend my friend is having a huge BBQ. Typically her parties provide an opportunity for friends that have known each other for decades to spend some time together. She always has tons of food and it's always a great time. We all catch up and get to see each others children.  It really is a wonderful time. But with such a grand list of entrees, I wasn't sure exactly what I should bring. What do you bring the party that has everything? DESSERT...

Then the questions was, what to bring. I was lucky enough to have a friend make a wonderful strawberry filled suggestion. And I do think I will make that dessert but since it's the 4th of July, I'm going to go Red, White and Blue for dessert. I can't remember the first time I had trifle but I know I thought it was the best dessert ever. Quick and extremely satisfying. How could it not be? Pound cake, pudding, fruit and whipped cream...what more could you ask for?

This dessert idea came from a Taste of Home. I'm making some minor changes to utilize what I have in the house. I'm going to use strawberries instead of raspberries and vanilla pudding instead of lemon pudding. The pudding is more so a personal preference since that's how I originally had the dessert.

Strawberry & Blueberry Trifle

Ingredients
1 can of condensed milk
1 1/2 cups of 2 % milk
1/2 sour cream
2 packages instant vanilla pudding mix
2 cups of blueberries
2 cups of strawberries
1 package of pound cake
Sugar
lemon slice
whipped cream
sprig of mint



Directions
With a mixer, mix the condensed milk with 2% milk and pudding mix for about 2 minutes. Then fold in the sour cream.

Squeeze some fresh lemon in the strawberries and blueberries then toss with white sugar.

Cut the pound cake into cubes.

If want the free form trifle shown above use a greased spring form pan.
Otherwise you can use a trifle bowl or a tall clear bowl.

Add one layer of cubed pound cake.
Then a layer of blueberries.
Then add a layer of pudding mix and spread gently.
Add another layer of pound cake.
Then a layer of strawberries.
And another layer of pudding spreading gently.



Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours or overnight.

Before serving top with some whipped cream and a few extra strawberries and blueberries for garnish. I also like to add some fresh mint (I have tons in the garden).

My trifle is still in the fridge but below is a mini trifle I made.


Enjoy and have a  HAPPY FOURTH OF JULY!!



No comments:

Post a Comment