Replace El's Kitchen: International Comfort Food: Bacon & Shrimp Fried Rice

Thursday, July 9, 2015

Bacon & Shrimp Fried Rice

One of my favorite comfort foods is shrimp fried rice. I don't know when it happened but It's been that way since I was a teenager. There was a great Chinese food restaurant about a block away and if I had a particularly bad day at school I would go and get a pint of pork fried rice or shrimp fried rice.

When I moved away from the city it got harder and harder to find a place that I really liked. And forget finding a place late at night. So I decided to make my own. After several failed attempts I came across a recipe that change everything for me. I felt like I had finally found the secret to getting the right flavor. Guess what it was...BACON. I know... how wonderful right. So now in the time it takes me to bake bacon, I can make delicious shrimp fried rice.

Warning... I use a wok to make fried rice but you could use a curved frying pan to get the same results.

Bacon and Shrimp Fried Rice

Ingredients
3 cups of cooked white or brown rice
2 eggs
4 slices of bacon
1/2 pound of shrimp peeled & deveined
1 cup of frozen vegetables unthawed (I like peas and carrots)
1/3 cup of fresh julienned green peppers
1/3 cup of fresh julienned yellow peppers
1/3 cup of sliced green onions
1/4 cup of bean sprouts
2tbsp of soy sauce
2tbsp of sesame oil
salt and pepper
powdered ginger
Chinese Five Spice


Directions
Place the bacon in a cold oven and let it heat up to 400 degrees. Allow the bacon to cook for approximately 17 minutes.

Place a little sesame oil (about 1/2 a tbsp) in the pan. Whisk the eggs together with a little salt and pepper and pour it into the pan. Allow it to cook like you are making an omelette. Once the egg is cooked remove it from the pan and cut it into thin slices.

Add 1 tbsp of sesame oil to the pan, then add your shrimp. Cook for about a minute then turn the shrimp and sprinkle with powdered ginger and Chinese Five Spice.
Then add your peppers, green onions, bean sprouts and unthawed vegetables. Let it cook for another 2 to 3 minutes. Toss everything together.

Add the rice and the rest of the sesame oil and soy sauce.
By this time your baked bacon should be done. Once it has cooled, cut it into thin slices and add it and your egg to the pan and toss everything together.

No comments:

Post a Comment